Please make plans to attend this planning and brainstorming session to discuss programming ideas, goals and objectives for the AIA|LA Committee on the Environment. Your leadership, participation and insight is encouraged as the new Committee chairs begin the process of developing a series of robust programs and advocacy initiatives for the year ahead.
AIA|LA Committee on the Environment...
"Building the Sustainable City"
planning the Committee's 2010 programs and objectives
Thursday, January 21 (6:30pm)
AIA Los Angeles
3780 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90010
RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for your additional consideration:
1. the theme for 2010: "Building the Sustainable City". The Committee will look for opportunities to interface with the AIA|LA Political Outreach Committee, and implement opportunities to expand this year's theme to develop advocacy issues that might be presented to the city at the yearly "Legislative Day at City Hall".
2. The theme, "Building the Sustainable City", will be explored through a series of presentations that roughly fall into 3 categories:
a. Infrastructure. Presentations may be organized around subjects such as water and power, mobility, sewage, etc.
b. Economics, Politics, and Regulations. Presentations may be organized around such subjects as city green building incentives, federal green building incentives, and on the various alternate green building rating systems (ie. alternates to the USGBC's LEED programs).
c. Buildings and Housing. Presentations may explore such topics as alternate housing systems, green building materials, urban farming, etc.
3. The committee will have a planning and organizational meeting this month, then a series of 20/20 slide presentations (20 slides/20 seconds per slide) in the month of February, with the themed presentations starting in March.
4. Committee members will be asked to participate and/or to propose and help to organize the various presentations to follow the theme and general categories listed above.
5. For each of the themed presentations, it may be advantageous to start with an invited presenter from the current city administration who can discuss the "state of the city" with respect to the month's topic.