Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Mayor's 30/10 Initiative

Good afternoon--

I wanted to share some excited developments in our efforts to transform LA's transportation network.

This week I've traveled to Washington DC to advocate for my 30/10 plan, which calls for federal assistance to help get our top 12 measure R funded transportation projects built in the next 10 years, instead of 30. My plan would not only get LA the transportation system it deserves sooner, it would create 166,000 jobs and get thousands of cars of the road.

We are building momentum for the plan, and I believe our message is being heard in Washington.

Earlier this week, Congressmen Peter DeFazio (D-OR), a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Comittee, toured LA. He called the 30/10 plan a "visionary," "big bang approach" to tranforming city transportation.  

And last Friday I testified before Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood and Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) about our region's transportation needs.  They came to L.A. as part of a series of listening meetings around the country on the reauthorization of the surface transportation bill. I took the opportunity to testify to the readiness of our 12 measure R-funded projects, and to the need for federal assistance to help us finish them in the next decade.

You can read more about that testimony and my 30/10 plan on my blog.

With the right support from Washington, I believe we're on our way to delivering Angelenos a transportation system worthy of our great city.

Thank you,
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa

No comments:

Post a Comment